La version FRANCAISE de ce blog : Save the Date – HakiConf – RDC Francais v2
Rudi International is thrilled to announce the inaugural edition of the HakiConf which is the « Conference on Human Rights in the Digital Age in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) », taking place from November 5-6, 2018 in the country’s own touristic city of Goma, the Democratic Republic of Congo.
What’s the main theme? « Digital Rights in the DRC: Where Do We Stand? »
The conference’s program will tackle some of the current and upcoming pressing issues in the country and the region, including:
- Privacy and data protection;
- The context of digital legal frameworks in the country;
- The Internet freedom landscape in the country and how can we leverage on success stories across Africa;
- Digital rights during election times and what the Congo can learn from other African countries;
- How can we leverage on the African Declaration on Internet Rights and Freedoms to design Internet freedom friendly legislations;
- And much more.
Who will be attending?
We expect to host civil society leaders and organizations working on human rights and digital rights issues, policy makers, journalists, lawyers, technologists from inside and outside the country.
Why should you attend?
- The #HakiConf2018 will be the first of its kind in the country, where (local and international) participants will have the opportunity to engage into meaningful discussions about the intersection of human rights and the Internet;
- The conference is happening at the eve of general elections and will aim at setting the agenda for more discussions on how digital tools can support peaceful elections;
- Join us to learn about the state of Internet freedoms in the largest country of the Sub Saharan Africa;
- Join us to share best practices to inspire and challenge the local digital rights community in the Congo;
- The conference will aim at setting the scene for meaningful discussions around issues such as privacy and data protection, access to information and the need for proper legal frameworks covering these issues;
- Come meet and engage with human rights and digital rights activists who are working to challenge oppressive governments in Africa;
- Come learn on the many opportunities that you and your organization can join those working to support a more open, free and accessible Internet in the DRC, that respects the fundamental rights of the people;
- Come and be part of the movement in support of local efforts in the Congo.
How can you be part of this?
Join us! Mark your calendar! Save the date and get ready for upcoming official announcements.
There are some ways one can be part of the success of this event. Try one (or all) of these:
- Pre-register here to receive fresh updates leading to this event (including the upcoming calls for proposals and for the official registration);
- Share this email across your other networks to raise awareness about the conference;
- Get ready to physically join us in Goma and be part of live discussions;
- This conference will be running through a generous core grant from Access Now but we would like to expand our pool of funders/sponsors: please reach out to learn how you can financially support this conference;
- Please reach out to share any ideas, tips on how we can best use this conference to have meaningful and lasting results.
How to get in touch?